Summertime Sencha Custard
by J. Blais
- 2 2/3 cups milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbs sencha or matcha powder
- pinch of salt
- Mix eggs, sugar, sencha (or matcha) powder and salt in a bowl.
- Scald milk over low heat, then gradually pour milk into egg mixture while stirring.
- Place custard cups inside of a baking pan, then pour mixture into custard cups.
- Add hot water to the large baking pan, then bake at 325 for about 45 minutes, or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow custard to cool, then refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Makes 3 – 5 oz servings.
- Do not whip eggs.
- For a stronger tea flavor, add extra tea powder. (Mint, vanilla or other flavors can be added as well.)
- For better results make sure water level is equal to custard level.
- Custard can be baked in a large oven safe glass bowl instead of individual cups, however cooking time will be extended.
- To use as a custard base for bread pudding, add extra tea powder.