Unrefined tencha (碾茶) tea leaves (the raw material used for matcha) is roasted to create a light-bodied roasted green tea. Tencha differs from other Japanese green teas in that it is shaded for about 4 weeks before harvest and is not rolled during processing; after steaming it is dried in a special tencha oven.
- Tea: 5 grams. Time: 30-60 seconds. Water: 90C/194F, 200 ml.
- Resteep 4 times or as you prefer.
- The amounts above are guidelines. Adjust to preference.
- Consider also cold steeping (see Steeping Techniques).
- Name: Roasted Tencha Hojicha
- Japanese name: 碾茶炒りほうじ茶
- Ingredients: Green Tea
- Harvest: Spring
- Region: Wazuka, Kyoto Prefecture
- Notes: Unrefined tencha leaves used (includes original stems, etc).
About The Azuma Tea Garden
The Azuma family specializes in growing tencha, the leaves used for creating matcha, in addition to other types of green, black, and oolong teas. In the process of certifying tea fields as organic, they are shifting cultivation of their fields to pesticide free practices.
Based in Wazuka, Kyoto, Japan, the family has also recently built their own matcha grinding factory becoming fully vertically integrated as a producer.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.