For the true matcha connoisseur, taste four different tea cultivars used to make matcha in this one set! 1.5 grams each of the four matcha cultivars offered by the Obubu Tea Farm: Gokou, Uji Hikari, Samidori, Okumidori as well as a fifth cultivar, Meiryoku. Single cultivar matchas grown and produced by the same farmer will allow you to taste the difference that different tea plants can have on the flavor and aroma.
A bit about the 5 matcha cultivars. Please note that cultivars are “cultivated varieties” identified for specific characteristics and propagated by cuttings to create a field of the same plant DNA.
- Gokou: A cultivar specifically developed for the soil and climate of Kyoto prefecture, the gokou is characteristic with its' earthy aroma and deep umami.
- Meiryoku: Producing a bright, deep green color, with a sweet aroma and deep bitter flavor.
- Uji HIkari: Another cultivar that was developed for the Kyoto region, this is an aromatic cultivar which was selected in 1985 from a seed of zairai (native) tea bushes from Uji. In comparison to the gokou, it is still quite a rare cultivar perhaps because it does not leave a strong impression with its' lighter umami.
- Samidori: The samidori cultivar is a tencha specific cultivar, with a bright color and rich umami flavor perfect for matcha. This cultivar comes from a tea plant in Uji and was bred by Koyama Masajirou in 1939. Nowadays, it is becoming more common to come across a matcha from this cultivar in Kyoto prefecture.
- Okumidori: This cultivar is a vivid green Uji matcha made from the tea plant cultivar okumidori. The okumidori cultivar is known for having a strong taste and aroma.
Ingredients: Green tea
- Net weight: 1.5 grams x 5
- Cultivars: Gokou, Uji Hikari, Samidori, Okumidori, Meiryoku
- Harvest: Spring
- Cultivation & processing notes: Shaded for 3-4 weeks prior to harvest, steamed and dried without rolling to make tencha leaves. Refined tencha leaves are then ground by stone mill into matcha powder.
- Packaging: Yunomi packaging (resealable bag).
- Name: Kyoto Obubu Tea Farms
- President / farmer: Akihiro Kita
- Location: Wazuka, Kyoto Prefecture
Kyoto Obubu Tea Plantations, is a Japanese tea brand owned and operated by tea farmers in the town of Wazuka, Kyoto prefecture. Started by Akihiro Kita and Yasuharu Matsumoto in 2004, the company began as an agricultural social venture.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.