The highest quality, handpicked gokou tea leaves from the Shimaoka Tea Farm in Ujitawara, Kyoto, are refined into delicate needles of umami by the Nishide family.
- Name: Handpicked Gyokuro Gokou by The Shimaoka Tea Farm
- Japanese name: 下岡茶園 田原玉露手摘ごこう
- Ingredients: Green Tea
- Harvest: May
- Region: Ujitawara, Kyoto
- Notes: Shaded for about 4 weeks prior to harvest. Regular steaming.
1st Steep - Tea: 5 grams. Time: 2 min. Water: 50-60˚C/122-140˚F, 120 ml.
2nd Steep - Time: 15 sec. Water: 90˚C/194˚F, 240 ml.
3rd+ Steep - Time: 30-45 sec. Water: 80˚C/176˚F, 240 ml.
- The amounts above are guidelines. Adjust to preference.
- Consider also cold steeping (see Steeping Techniques).
Name: Nishide Tea Factory (Nishide Seichajyo Co., Ltd.)
Type: Family-owned tea factory
CEO: Takashi Nishide
Address: 59 Higashiokutani Zenjyoji, Ujitawara-cho, Tsuzuki-gun, Kyoto 610-0201, Japan
The Nishide Tea Factory is managed by husband and wife team, Takashi and Atsuko Nishide and their family. Established over 140 years ago, the Nishide family buys aracha tea (unrefined leaves) from the tea farms of Kyoto and surrounding prefectures, and refines them further to craft high quality tea leaves that are uniform in color and shape, and of course excellent in flavor.