The saemidori cultivar is known for its brilliant color and brilliant green is exactly what you get with this leaf when steeping at hotter temperatures. But besides the color, the surprising amount of umami flavor despite zero shading is a testament to Kuma-san's soil development and care for his plants.
We find that this tea is so delicate, you can have a lot of fun steeping it like a gyokuro.
- 1st steeping - Tea: 3g. Time: 3 min. Water: 50C/122F, 60 ml.
- 2nd steeping - Time: 20 sec. Water: 90C/194F, 200 ml.
- 3rd steeping - Time: 60 sec. Water: 90C/194F, 200 ml.
- 4th? 5th? Depends on how light you like your tea!
- Name: Imperial Sencha Saemidori
- Japanese name: 煎茶さえみどり
- Ingredients: Green tea
Harvest: April 29, 2017
- Region: Yame, Fukuoka
- Steaming: A long chumushi (regular) but not quite fukamushi (deep steamed) creating leaf that is largely powdery but retains some shape and a tea liquor that is deep green and opaque when steeped at a hot temperature.