Bizenya’s tea merchant Keiichiro Shimizu holds pride in their Shimizumukashi blend, both for its' flavor and aroma that is incomparable to other teas. This shincha is hand-picked from their own nogi-en, located in Takahagi, Hidaka city (Sayama region, well-known for their Sayamacha). Nogi-en is what Shimizu-san and his staff refer to as organic tea plantations which are hand picked only once a year.
It takes Shimuzi-san and his staff 10 days to handpick the 20 acre Nogi-en for their "Shimizu-mukashi" aracha. Aracha is a type of traditional, unrefined tea in which stems and leaf fannings are not filtered out. For this special preparation, the freshly picked tea leaves will go through a carefully controlled shading process, termed ichoka (icho = withering, ka=aroma), which concentrates and preserves the subtle aromas. Because it is hand-picked, the rolled tea leaves will appear larger than what one may be used to seeing, perhaps giving a wild look, foreshadowing its ambition. As you begin the first sip, the alluring aroma slips past your tongue followed instantaneously by a sweet and refreshing taste. You may be surprised by the desire for time to stop and forever live in that perfect moment when aroma and taste both tantalize and satisfy. This is the magic of Bizenya's Shimizu-mukashi shincha. One to look forward to every year!
- Withering in the sun. After 30 minutes the leaf starts to blacken with enzymatic oxidization creating a floral aroma.
- Sencha processing
- Finishing - sorting out stems and fannings, including green-roasting using an old-style drying machine. The hot air used in to dry out the unrefined tea for long-term storage also adds a little toastiness to the fruity floral aroma.
- Yabukita (Bizenya)
- Fukumidori (Bizenya & Yutaka Miyaoka)
- Harvest: May 2020
- Region: Takahagi, Hidetaka City, Saitama, Japan
- Production notes: Handpicked, grown without pesticides
Steeping Recommendation from Bizenya
- 1) 70C (158F), 30 sec - Enjoy the lingering fresh aroma and scent
- 2) 70C (158F), 10 sec - Enjoy the curios taste
- 3) 85C (185F), 30 sec - Enjoy the refreshing taste
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.