I have always wanted to try making my own matcha scones, well partly because matcha scones sold in Japan are expensive, too.
I used Basic Kitchen Grade Matcha powder and the result is a beautiful green color. I also tried using Excellent Kitchen Grade Matcha and I have to say that the aroma is definitely stronger so I would recommend Excellent Kitchen Grade Matcha powder to those who want something more aromatic.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced
- 3/4 cup small chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup cold milk (you can also substitute it with soy milk)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons Basic Kitchen Grade Matcha powder
- Pre-heat oven to 190C. Keeping the temperature not too high helps to keep the nice green matcha color.
- Let’s make scones! Mix the all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and Basic Kitchen Grade Matcha powder. Make sure to mix them well.
- Add diced cold butter and knead them into the powder mixture and it becomes a nice dry mixture.
- Add the egg yolk and milk. Knead the dough well.
- Add chocolate chips.
- Press dough on a lightly floured surface into a circle with thickness of 2 cm (or 0.7 inch).
- Cut into 6 wedges and place them on a baking sheet.
- Bake for about 20 – 30 minutes. Can be served warm or cold.