Kyoto Obubu Tea Farm's most premium green tea, Kabuse Sencha is shaded for 2 weeks to create a rich, syrupy tea because the leaves are so delicate.
Obubu's most premium green tea, Kabuse Sencha (かぶせ煎茶) is a kabusecha or shaded tea, and can be steeped into a rich syrupy tea using a warm water steeping technique because the leaves are so delicate and tender. Using a standard boiling water steeping method, and the taste is delicate and sweet.Grown by covering the tea plants just after new leaves begin to sprout in early May, the shade reduces sunlight by as much as 85% to encourage the plants to produce wide, tender, chlorophyll-rich tea leaves. Two weeks later they are harvested and processed ready for shipping by the end of the month. Obubu's Kabuse Sencha is grown at a relatively high altitude for the region (500 m or 1640 ft) on southeast facing slopes providing good exposure to the sun (an important combination for shaded tea!).
- BREWED LEAVES
- ★★★★★ - Deliciously tender
- Vitamin C
- The above info are relative estimations based on cultivation and processing methods. They may also be affected by the steeping technique used, by storage conditions, etc.
- Kabuse Sencha
- 100% aracha from Wazuka, Kyoto
- TEA PLANT
- Yabukita plants, about 35 years old
- HARVEST PERIOD
- CULTIVATION NOTES
- Covered for 14 days before harvesting with tarp to reduce 85% of sunlight reaching the leaves
- PROCESSING NOTES
- light steaming (about 20 seconds)
- Akihiro Kita, President, Kyoto Obubu Tea Plantations
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.