Gyokuro tea is grown beneath shading, cutting out some 85% of the sunlight. This allows the leaves to mature without obtaining bitterness. The results is an ultra delicate green tea with an extremely sweet and complex taste profile. The Kurihara family's Heritage Gyokuro is grown beneath traditional, handmade bamboo and/or straw shading. The moisture that drips from this natural shading flavors the tea -- a return to the past with this gourmet tea.
Advanced cultivation technique (See tea plant photo): termination of apex domination. A tea plant allowed to grow more freely for handpicking has an apex leaf bud at the tip of each branch as well as lateral leaf buds that form on older base leaves further down the branch. The plant will favor this apex bud giving it more nutrients to grow larger. By cutting off each and every apex at the start of spring, Kurihara-san forces these nutrients into the lateral buds infusing the new spring leaves with flavor. Those lateral buds are then carefully picked by hand.
- SAVORINESS (umami)
- SWEETNESS (amami)
- ASTRINGENCY (shibumi)
- Fills the air with umami.
- BREWED LEAVES
- Great for salads! Used leaves should be steeped 3-4 times before using eating. Top with soy sauce and bonito flakes, or your own salad dressing.
- Name: Competition Grade Saemidori Heritage Gyokuro Green Tea
- Japanese name: 出品茶さえみどり伝統本玉露
- Ingredients: Green tea
- Net weight: 100 grams / 3.52 oz, 10 grams / 0.35 oz
- Cultivar: Saemidori
- Harvest: June
- Region: Yabemura Village, Yame City, Fukuoka
- Name: Kurihara Tea Farm
- Type: Family-owned business, tea farm, tea factory
- Members: Kippei, Yuji, and Akio Kurihara (Father and sons)
- Location: 4236 Kita Yabe, Yabe-mura, Yame-shi, Fukuoka Prefecture 834-1401, JAPAN
- Size: About 3 hectares total across several fields
- Altitude of tea fields: 300 - 700 meters
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.