Roasted Barley Tea or Mugicha is a popular herbal tea in Japan, especially in summer season as an iced tea.
This version of Kanazawa Daichi's organic mugicha is roasted using natural Tomuro stone (primarily andesite) from the local Mt. Tomuro quarries. The hot stone produces infrared heat creating a rich roast of the barley.
Tomuro stone is quite famous in the region as it is used in building the Kanazawa Castle. In cooking, the stone is often used to roast baked goods, potatoes, yams, etc. The infrared heat penetrates the surface of the food being cooked ensuring a deep, delicious flavor.
- HOT: Bring 1.5 liters of water to a boil with a kettle and put 50 grams of mugicha. Boil for about 10 minutes and remove the mugicha.
- COLD: After boiling, feel free to refrigerate up to 2 days for a delicious cold drink. (Boiling is necessary first as the barley has not been prepped for cold steeping.)
100% of this organic roasted barley tea comes from Ishikawa Prefecture based Kanazawa Agriculture. Kanazawa Daichi Co., Ltd., is the manufacturing arm of Kanazawa Agriculture Co., Ltd.
- Name: Organic Roasted Barley Tea
- Japanese name: 有機六条大麦茶
- Ingredients: 100% barley grown in Japan
- Net weight: 500 grams
- Region: Ishikawa Prefecture
- Cultivar: Six-row barley (六条大麦)
- Free standard airmail on one unit, and reduced shipping cost on multiple units / other shipping methods available.
- Name: Kanazawa Daichi
- Type: Farm
- Location: Hatta-cho, Kanazawa City, Ishikawa
Kanazawa Agriculture has been long dedicated to organic farming, and its operations were organic certified (in 2009) under the USDA's National Organic Program, the Japan Organic & Natural Foods Association (2001), and meets the EU Organic Farming certification qualifications.
(Kanazawa Daichi CEO Shinjiro Imura at left, Kanazawa Agriculture's Chairman and Shinjiro's father, Akira Imura, at right)
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.