Utilizing kabazaiku (sakura wood bark craft) techniques and bark from various different woods, studio Fujiki Denshiro worked with award winning designer Kaichiro Yamada to create the sophisticated Obizutsu series of tea canisters. The series features the sakura bark as an "obi" or kimono sash framed by polished wood of different types.
Fujiki Denshiro was established in 1851 as a kabazaiku wholesaler and transformed into the premier kabazaiku manufacturing studio by the late 6th generation owner Koichi Fujiki. Master craftsman Masao Nishinomiya has been practicing kabazaiku craft for 60 years.
Meister Koichi Fujiki (1962 - 2015)
Master craftsman Masao Nishinomiya
- Size: (Large) 8.2 cm diameter, 12.2 cm height
- Material: Sakura wood & bark
- Region: Kakunodate, Akita, Japan
- Designer: Kaichiro Yamada
- Research associate at Musashino Art University after graduating in 1997.
- Opened design studio KAICHIDESIGN in 2004 creating interior products that transform daily discomfort to comfort.
- Exhibited at Salone Satellite in Milan 2004-2006. A Dream Come True in Milan 2007.
- Received awards including Good Design Award 2004 & 2011 in Japan, and Red Dot Design award 2010 in Germany.
“CHERRY BARK CRAFTWORK”: A TWO-HUNDRED YEAR OLD TRADITION
Kabazaiku was initiated by samurai warriors as a supplementary work task approximately 220 years ago during the Temmei Era. This craftsmanship was adopted by the townspeople of Kakunodate (Akita Prefecture), and continues to be perfected in an environment rich in culture. Natural cherry bark breathes. It handles moisture well. Its tough surface makes Kabazaiku craft-ware suitable for everyday use. An intricate relationship exists between cherry bark, wisdom, and the devotion of skilled craftsmen that brings about a special harmony found in unique and beautiful kabazaiku products.
HOW TO CARE FOR THIS ITEM
Please observe the following instructions for the long-term enjoyment of your product. Avoid prolonged storage in damp places; do not wipe with a wet cloth. To prevent dehydration, avoid both excessive dryness and direct sunlight. To achieve maximum luster, occasional wiping in the direction of the grain is recommended. Use a soft cloth or tissue. Do not use in microwave, oven, or wash in dishwasher.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.