This imperial gyokuro, Fukujyu will not disappoint. It contains plenty of theanine, which is an umami ingredient. AOI Seicha’s manager will state with pride that one can fully enjoy the deep umami and sweetness as you make contact with the tea in your mouth. On top of the rich taste in your mouth, this gyokuro also has a unique aroma. The Fukujyu is recommended for those who are curious to try a little luxurious gyokuro...
Shaded for sweet umami
As a tea factory specializing in matcha production, AOI Seicha has an extensive network of farmers growing a different kind of shaded tea -- gyokuro.
- Ingredients: Green tea
- Net Weight: 100 grams in original bag, 10-gram sized packed by Yunomi for your tasting convenience.
- Cultivar: Blended
- Harvest: Spring
- Cultivation & Processing Notes: Shaded for 3 weeks before harvest.
- Region: Blended
First steeping - Tea: 3 grams. Time: 3-5 minutes. Water: 50C/122F, 80 ml.
The purpose of this steep is to create an rich, umami syrup-like broth.
Second steeping - Time: immediate. Water: 70-90C/160-195F, 200 ml
In subsequent steeps, you've already primed the leaves and extracted much of the umami, so enjoy the other flavors with water at hotter temperatures.
- Third / fourth steeping - Time: 30-60 seconds. Water: 70-90C/160-195F, 200 ml
- Remember, steeping at a hotter temperature extracts caffeine and bitter-tasting catechin (antioxidants) while cooler temperature extracts only the umami-tasting L-theanine and other sweet flavors. Since the bitter flavors overwhelm the umami flavors, we recommend the above.
- Also try cold steeping as well as ice steeping!
- Name: Aoi Seicha
- Type: Factory
- Established: 1910, company incorporated as AOI Seicha in 1966.
- CEO: Ayano Honda
- Employees: 60
- Address: Kamiyashiki-7 Kamimachi, Nishio-shi, Aichi-ken 445-0894
Matcha for the North American market can be bought from U.S. subsidiary AOI Tea
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.