Named after the goddess of the Yame region, Yame Tsuhime, this sencha is Kurihara Tea's most premium sencha...a green tea worthy of the goddess. See the package text translation for more information about this legend.
Story of “Hime-cha”
According to the Nihon Shoki (720), the Chronicles of Japan, while Emperor Keiko was traveling in the Kyushu region he pointed to the direction of Yabe-mura and asked, “are there gods in the beautiful mountains of the east?” Then the territorial ruler answered, “there is a goddess named Yametsu-hime.” It is said that this is the origin of the name Yame. Yabe-mura, Kami-no-iwaya (god’s cave) district of Okuyame region surrounded by the mountains is where the Yame Shrine stands. Tea produced in the land where the hime (princess in Japanese) became goddess is named “Hime-cha” (cha meaning tea). The morning mist, settle wind, and the fresh spring water makes the beautiful nature and soil. “Human-friendly, body-friendly, and environmental-friendly” is the motto for our tea production that has been passed on for four generations in the Okuyame region. And “Hime-cha Monogatari (Hime-cha story)” incorporates all these feelings and history of the tea producers. Please enjoy the flavor and taste cultivated by people and nature.
- Name: Imperial Sencha Yame Tsuhime
- Ingredients: Green Tea
- Harvest: Spring
- Cultivation notes: Machine harvested
- Packaging: Either the resealable craft bag, or vacuum sealed Yame Mountains bag. Main photo is generally current stock, but may change depending on stock levels.
- Producer: Kippei, Yuji, and Akio Kurihara (Father and sons), Kurihara Seicha Ltd.
- Location: 4236 Kita Yabe, Yabe-mura, Yame-shi, Fukuoka Prefecture 834-1401, JAPAN
- Size / # of Fields: About 3 hectares
- Altitude: 300 - 700 meters
Payment & Security