Spring sencha harvested between late April to early May.
Steaming: Takeo-san steams the leaves for a slightly longer time than usual sencha, so we have classified this as a fukamushicha.
Cultivars: Yabukita, zairai (grown from seed) blend
Pesticide use: Takeo-san uses no pesticides in cultivation and have isolated their tea fields away from other agricultural activities to prevent contamination. Of the some 20k tea farmers in Japan the Takeo family is one of a few family-operated artisan tea farms who have had their tea certified.
JAS (Japan Agricultural Standard) certification mark
The amounts below are guidelines. Adjust to preference.
- Tea: 3 grams (0.11 oz)
- Water Amount: 100cc (1/2 cup, 3.4 fl oz)
- Water Temperature: 60-70˚C degrees (140-158˚F degrees)
- Steeping Time: 1 minute
- Name: Organic Spring Sencha Kodawari #3 Superior
- Japanese name: 有機栽培茶こだわり 上春煎茶
- Ingredients: Green tea
- Harvest: May
- Region: Tsu City, Mie Prefecture
- Name: Takeo Tea Farm
- Type: Tea farm, family business
- Farmer: Hiroyuki Takeo
- Established: 1925, all fields converted to organic cultivation in 1993, certified as organic in 2000
- Certification: JAS certified organic (legally equivalent to USDA, EU, French, Canadian, Australian, New Zealand organic certifications)
Payment & Security