This hojicha pudding recipe serves 4-6 people.
- Milk: 600 ml (about 2.5 cups)
- Houjicha tea leaves: 3 tablespoons
- Sugar: 1 tablespoon
- Powdered gelatin: 10g
- Water: 4 tablespoons
- Sprinkle the powdered gelatin into the 4 tablespoons of water in a bowl, and mix until the gelatin dissolves.
- Add the houjicha tea leaves and sugar into the milk, and heat over a stove. Once it begins to boil, lower the heat, and boil until the milk begins to turn brown and the aroma of houjicha begins to fill the air.
- Turn off the heat and allow the milk houjicha to cool to 80˚C / 176˚F. Then add the liquid gelatin and mix well.
- Strain the tea leaves out of the mixture and pour into bowls. Once it cools, place in the refrigerator until it hardens.
Gelatin looses its ability to coagulate (harden) at hot temperatures so add it to the houjicha milk after it cools. The 1 tablespoon sugar is actually not very much so the pudding made from this recipe is less sweet than most puddings. Add sugar to make it sweeter or try using honey!
Hojicha (Roasted Green Tea)