Yet another shincha from Shimizu-san’s own nogi-en (and others), the Shourai blend is unique because it comes from their 八十八夜 (hachijyu-hachiya) harvest. According to the traditional Japanese lunar calendar, hachijyu-hachiya signifies the 88th night after the start of spring and is also used to mark the start of shincha harvesting.
The Shourai blend is made from the aracha (unrefined tea in which stems and leaf fannings are not filtered out) of three types of cultivars: fukumidori (plays central role), yumewakaba, and yabukita.
After the tea is harvested, it goes through a process of withering in which the tea leaves are first sun dried, then dried in the shade for about half a day to create the aroma. Each cultivar is hand-fired separately using a hoiro (焙炉 a special table with thick washi paper surface that is heated from the bottom), then blended to complete the Shourai blend. This tea was served to the Japanese emperor and empress to accompany their dessert at Koryo Shrine on September 20, 2017.
- Withering in the sun. After 30 minutes the leaf starts to blacken with enzymatic oxidization creating a floral aroma.
- Sencha processing
- Finishing - sorting out stems and fannings, including green-roasting using an old-style drying machine. The hot air used in to dry out the unrefined tea for long-term storage also adds a little toastiness to the fruity floral aroma.
- Yabukita (Bizenya & Farmer Yutaka Miyaoka), May 2 & 5 harvest
- Fukumidori (Farmer Takanori Shimada), May 6th harvest
- Yume Wakaba (Bizenya), May 2nd harvest
- Harvest: Early May
- Region: Takahagi, Hidetaka City, Sayama City in Saitama, Japan.
- Production notes: Handpicked, grown without pesticides
Steeping Recommendation from Bizenya
- Tea: 5g
- Water: 150ml
- Water temperature / time
- First steeping: 70C (158F), 30 sec - Enjoy the fresh aroma and scent
- 2nd steeping: 70C (158F), 10 sec - Enjoy the unique taste
- 3rd steeping: 85C (185F), 30 sec - Enjoy the refreshing taste and aroma
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.