Gyokuro tea is grown beneath shading, cutting out some 85% of the sunlight. This allows the leaves to mature without obtaining bitterness. The results is an ultra delicate green tea with an extremely sweet taste profile.
Unlike Kurihara Tea's Heritage Grade level Gyokuro (grown beneath traditional, handmade bamboo and/or straw shading), this Premium Gyokuro uses easier-to-handle vinyl covering, and is machine-harvested for greater volume. The shading allows for a rich umami flavor, while the larger volume harvested provides a lower price.
Aging & Shincha
While gyokuro is harvested at the same time as other spring teas, producers commonly prefer to age their gyokuro at least 4 months, often 6 months before releasing the product for sale. The aging of the product in cool, temperature-controlled environment allows the greenness--bitter, astringent flavors--to degrade, ever so slightly increasing the umami flavors. The final polish that transforms a high grade product into the best Japan has to offer. Kurihara Tea, however, chooses to make the new tea leaf available both for tea enthusiasts to taste the fresh leaf, and to enjoy aging on their own.
- SAVORINESS (umami): ★★★★
- SWEETNESS (amami): ★★★★
- ASTRINGENCY (shibumi): ★
- FRAGANCE: Rich umami aroma
- BREWED LEAVES: Great for salads! Used leaves should be steeped 3-4 times before using eating. Top with soy sauce and bonito flakes, or your own salad dressing.
- Name: Premium Gyokuro Tea
- Japanese name: 本玉露
- Ingredients: Green tea
- Harvest: Mid-May
- Region: Yabemura village, Yame, Fukuoka
- Notes: Shaded for 3 weeks before harvest, machine cut, medium steaming used but leaves are young and delicate so the results is close to a deep steaming (fukamushi)
- Name: Kurihara Seicha Ltd.
- Members: Kippei, Yuji, and Akio Kurihara (Father and sons)
- Location: 4236 Kita Yabe, Yabe-mura, Yame-shi, Fukuoka Prefecture 834-1401, JAPAN
- Size of fields: About 3 hectares
- Altitude of fields: 300 - 700 meters
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.