The perfect depth and width for whisking matcha, but with a convenient handle, Yamamoto-san and Yunomi present a modern style to drinking Japan's traditional matcha. Yamamoto-san's matcha bowl is made with a dark-colored clay, and dipped in white colored mud halfway on one side and halfway on the otherside to create the effect of white on black with a dividing stripe in the middle.
Ceramic pieces like this one are porous and absorb water when wet, creating spots (see photo). As they dry and the absorbed water evaporates, the spots will disappear.
This also means that you have the opportunity to age these bowls, creating patterns become more that reveal your life.
SEASONING: To prevent absorption, you can use water from partially boiled rice. This technique is often used in "seasoning" ceramic pots used for cooking, and involves boiling rice in the ceramic pot for an extended time to allow the starch to fill in the microscopic pores in the clay.
While direct heat should not be applied to the bowl, taking boiled rice porridge and allowing it to sit in the bowl for an hour should help to prevent absorption.
- Diameter: About 13 cm (5.1 in), handle extends by about 2 cm to make length 15 cm (5.9 in)
- Height: About 7 cm (2.8 in)
- Volume: 360 ml (12.2 fl oz) when filled near to the rim
- Material: Ceramic
- Note that because these bowls are handmade, there will be variations in color & size.
Product Care & Maintenance
- Do not use in microwave.
- Do not apply direct heat (heating over a stove).
- Do not apply hot liquid to a bowl that has been cooled (in the refrigerator for example).
- Do not use in dishwasher. Hand wash with mild soap and dry with soft cloth.
About the Aritst
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.