Tea garden owner Akika Kunitomo's father operated a landscaping company in Kochi Prefecture and in the 1990s discovered wild tea plants on an isolated mountainside during the course of his work. He began caring for the plants by clearing away the under brush and but allowing the plants to grow naturally as they had been.
Seeking to return to the roots of tea making in the Kochi region, Kunitomo-san built a small processing factory that focuses on pan-firing tea leaves. Akika took over the project when her father passed away, expanding by using seeds from the original wild plants and creating a managed tea field while continuing to adhere to the philosophy of zero use of pesticides and fertilizer.
Furanka, The Orchid Dragon, is made from tea plants that have been grown from the seeds of these wild plants. Carefully handpicked by the Kunitomo family and their neighbors, withered overnight, and pan-fired by hand as well, the delicious aromas and delicate flavor will transport you to another land.
Steeping RecommendationExpect a tea that is similar to Chinese green tea due to the pan-firing and slight withering.
- Tea: 5 grams
- Water Temperature: 90C/195F degrees (use a lower temperature for less astringency)
- Water Amount: 200 ml
- Time: 3-4 minutes for a strong-bodied tea, 1-2 minutes for a lighter, more delicate tea.
- Resteep 3-4 times
- Ingredients: Green tea
- Cultivar: Yamacha (zairai, non-specific cultivar)
- Harvest: Spring, harvested by hand
- Production method: Withered overnight, hand-processed pan firing
- Region: Ino Village, Kochi, Japan
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.