The Okuyutaka cultivar is Kuma Tea Gardens’ main cultivar. Okuyutaka in Japanese means “Deep Richness”, and as it name implies, it is a cultivar that is characterised to be rich in umami, gentle and soft to the mouth. This okuyutaka sencha from Kuma-san is a very high quality tea with a soft roundness, and a sweet but gentle after taste.
A note from Kuma-san (tea farmer):
The Okuyutaka cultivar is the main variety at our tea farm. It is a cultivar that is of very high quality that will allow you to experience the full richness (umami) of Japanese tea. Due to its roundedness, this tea will feel gentle to the mouth and provide a sweet after taste. While this tea may not make a strong statement, please enjoy its subtleness and of course, you are sure to taste the rich umami that will melt in your mouth. During this time (i.e., shincha season) when the tea leaves are in their best state, we have steamed the Okuyutaka tea leaves to develop a profound and delicious tea. We hope this tea will make you feel at home and may perhaps magically allow you to let go of your worries.
Steeping notes from Kuma-san
- 1st steeping - Tea: 3g. Time: 1 min. Water: 70C/158F, 120 ml.
- 2nd steeping - Time: 20 sec. Water: 90C/194F, 150 ml.
- 3rd steeping - Time: 60 sec. Water: 90C/194F, 150 ml.
- Please remember: These are just guidelines (and may differ on our label). You can and should adjust according to your personal preference. More tea / less water / longer time for a stronger flavor; lower temperature for more sweetness / hotter temperature for more bitterness.
- Ingredients: Green tea
- Cultivar: Okuyutaka
- Harvest: April 2021
- Region: Yame, Fukuoka, Japan
- Notes: Mountain-grown. Regular steaming resulting fairly intact tea leaves. Reduced pesticide use.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.