In the refinement of premium gyokuro, stems (and some smaller leaf pieces) are removed creating this high grade leaf stem tea, or "karigane". Farm Hattori-san and his wife have been creating artisanal tea for half a century, distributing mainly to loyal customers and friends. We were lucky to be introduced, and bought a number of their teas last year, aging to create teas with very low bitterness.
- Tea: 5g. Time: 2-3 min. Water: 50C/122F, 60-80 ml (Water should just cover the leaves).
- Resteep 2nd time at 15 sec., 80C/176F, 200 ml.
- Resteep 3rd time at 45 sec., 80C/176F, 200 ml.
- Tips: Use hotter temperature for more astringency, cooler temperature for more sweetness / umami savoriness. Longer time or more leaves for stronger flavor.
- Harvest: Spring
- Region: Uji, Kyoto
- Notes: Shaded for 3 weeks to create a deep umami flavor, leaf stems and smaller leaf pieces filtered from the main gyokuro production.