Utilizes a rare cultivar called Inzatsu #131, born from the Indian Assam Manipuri #5 cultivar and an unknown father. The resulting cultivar is rich in floral aroma, hence the name "Ranryu" which translates to "Orchid Dragon".
- Name: Organic Sencha Ranryu, The Orchid Dragon
- Japanese name: 蘭龍
- Ingredients: Green tea
- Cultivar: Inzatsu #131 (印度雑種131号)
- Withering: 4 hours indoors.
- Steaming: Fukamushi, deep steamed
- Harvest: Spring
- Region: Nearai Village, Shizuoka Prefecture
Consider also cold steeping or ice steeping (see Steeping Techniques). The main thing to note is that lower water temperatures create a sweeter flavor profile while hotter temperatures create a more bitter, astringent profile. More water or less tea will reduce the strength of the tea.
- 1st steeping - Tea: 3 grams. Time: 60 seconds. Water: 60C/140F, 150 ml.
- 2nd steeping - Time: 10-20 seconds. Water: 80-90C/180-195F, 200 ml (about 1 cup).
- 3rd steeping - Increase time to 30-60 seconds or to desired strength.