A "kyusu" (Japanese tea pot) made with a traditional Bankoyaki (萬古焼) ware technique. Nankei Pottery is based in Yokkaichi, Mie Prefecture which is at the heart of Bankoyaki ceramics. This kyusu has a simplistic and timeless design which was originally announced by Nankei Pottery 50 years ago, well-suited for the modern lifestyle. With its volume capacity of 240ml, this kyusu is perfect to make 2-4 cups to share tea time amongst family and guests.
The black matte "Kuro-neri" will be resilient to the stains of tea but please also enjoy the transformation of your kyusu with time, use, and care as the non-glazed pottery will demonstrate changes.
- For this black matte color, it is typical for one to notice a reddish colored ring at the rim of the pot (i.e., where the lid sits). This happens as a natural result of the pottery process and is called "suri-awase" in Japanese which is done to appropriately piece the lid and pot together. The red color simply reveals the clay’s original color.
- Nankei Pottery also has this kyusu available in white beige "Shiro-neri" option. See below for strainer options.
- Tradition: Bankoyaki
- Volume: 240 ml
- Dimensions: 176 x 144 x 82 mm (width x depth x height)
- Material: Ceramic (Clay which is high in iron content)
- Colour: Black (also available in Sand colour)
- Manual / Care:
- Rinse the tea leaves with water or hot water, drain them well, and dry them.
- If you are concerned about tea astringency, soak it in diluted tableware oxygen bleach overnight to clean it.
- Do not remove the net or push it from above.
- The stainless steel net uses 18-8 stainless steel (SUS304).
- Do not push a scrubbing brush or sponge into the kyusu to wash it. It may cause damage to the net.
- Do not wash the inside of the Teapot with your bare hands.
- Before storing it in a cupboard for a long period of time, be sure to soak it in tableware bleach, wash it, and dry it completely before storing it.
- Name: Nankei Pottery
- Kiln Established: 1913
- Location: Yokkaichi, Mie Prefecture
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.