Sawa Houzan’s pottery studio is located in Shigaraki-cho, Koka city. The city is located in the southeastern part of Shiga prefecture, famous for Japan’s largest lake Biwako.
Master potter Sawa Houzan’s father Gisaburo was a turner in a Kyoto pottery studio. In 1950, he split off from the studio and opened his own kiln under the name of Sawa Houzan, later moving the pottery studio to his hometown in Shigaraki-cho, Koka city of Shiga Prefecture.
Sawa Harumi, the son of Gizaburo, inherited the kiln along with the name, continuing his father's tradition of creating art under the name Sawa Houzan. The 2nd Sawa Houzan also has a son and successor, Masayoshi, and together they produce the beautiful Shigaraki-yaki teaware and tableware acknowledged and loved by many in Japan and around the world.